RESTORATION AND UPGRADE OF THE MUNICIPAL MARKET (AGORA)
AND CREATION OF NEW PIAZZA
OWNED AND FUNDED BY: LEMESOS MUNICIPALITY
ARCHITECT: PENELOPE PAPADOPOULOU
MECHANICAL ENGINEER: ANTONIS PERICLEOUS
The Municipal Market is a listed stone building consisting of halls and shops of total area 3000 m2, covering a building square in the old centre. The market was originally constructed in 1917, at a period when Lemesos was booming ,and gradually expanded to its present form by 1947. The Market along with the surrounding traditional shops and restaurants had been the centre of trade and social activities until the late 70’s when it started losing its importance due to the fast expansion of the town and the creation of shopping centres in the periphery.